Mom’s need every advantage possible to keep energy up, moods balanced and immune system strong. One simple recommendation to maintain health and vitality is to keep blood sugar stable throughout the day. In my naturopathic practice, I have seen huge shifts in moms health when they recognize this need and make it a priority of care for themselves.
Here are my top 5 tips to help busy Mom’s maintain blood sugar levels and sustainable energy throughout the day.
- Eat a high protein breakfast: a high protein start to the day has been shown to decrease empty nutrient intake and reduce sugar cravings for the rest of the day. Add hard boiled eggs to your slice of toast or hemp hearts with nut butter to your oatmeal or a high protein smoothie and you will be amazed how this will shift your energy, focus and sugar cravings later in the day.
- Eat a mid afternoon snack: in the same way that breakfast protein decreases afternoon cravings, a mid afternoon snack rich in protein will result in less sugar cravings after dinner. Choose a handful of nuts and fruit or plain greek yogurt mid afternoon and the result will be balanced late afternoon energy and less junk food after dinner.
- Never miss a meal: after years of exploring, recommending and trying multiple fad, lifestyle and therapeutic programs I have returned to a very basic philosophy when it comes to nutrition. I call it “Grade 1 eating” and it consists of 3 balanced meals breakfast, lunch and dinner throughout the day. When we miss a meal not only do we set ourselves up to make poor choices later, we also spike our stress response, decrease our immune health and further aggravate our blood sugar levels. You are not doing yourself any favors by skipping a meal.
- Always balance your meals: a balanced meal consists of protein like chicken, fish, tofu or eggs and whole food starch like rice, potatoes or quinoa and good fat like nuts, olive oil or avacodo and at least 1/2 your plate veggies. Most of us busy moms don’t balance our meals. Begin to ask yourself the question is there a protein or fat? Can I increase my veggies? Adding nuts, hemp hearts, hard boiled eggs and handful of spinach can completely make over your meal and offer you balanced energy for the day.
- Eat your fibre: Fibre keeps our blood sugar balanced by slowing down the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar. When we eat more fibre our energy becomes balanced. When choosing carbohydrates always reach for the darker and denser options like brown rice over white rice or sweet pototes over white ones. Another great tip to increase fibre and decrease insulin is to add 1 tbsp of ground flax seed to your
Hugs from one mom to another!