The change of season from winter to spring is the ideal time to detoxify. During the winter months your body has accumulated toxins due to immune challenges, poor diet choices and the mental/emotional as well as physical stresses of the long cold season.
Following this daily nutrition regime for 14 days will result in the safe and gentle assistance of your liver to process the toxins as well support your urinary tract, lymphatic system and gastrointestinal tract in the elimination of the toxins.
1) Start your morning with a nutrient dense smoothie that includes: 15 grams of a high quality rice, hemp or pea protein powder, 1/2 cup almond or rice milk, 1 banana, 1/2 cup blueberries and a large handful of spinach or kale. For added support include 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds.
2) Mid morning choose a piece of organic fruit and 10 almonds or 1 tbsp of almond butter.
3) Lunch includes a protein like beans and lentils, organic chicken or turkey or wild game like bison or elk served with brown rice, quinoa or sweet potatoes and an abundance of vegetables. This can be served in a variety of ways for example cold as a salad with an oil based salad dressing or warm as a stir fry seasoned with garlic and ginger.
4) Mid afternoon choose raw vegetables like carrots, peppers or celery and 3 tbsp of hummus.
5) Dinner is similar to lunch. To keep things interesting make soups or stews that follow the same guidelines of a protein, gluten free grain and lots of veggies. Also ensure that you add healthy fats to each meal like avocado, roasted nuts and seeds, goat cheese and/or different salad dressings and sauces.
6) If you are hungry at night choose a brown rice cake with almond or cashew butter and honey.
7) Finally drink at least 2 liters of water and replace coffee with green tea.
For an advanced detoxification program please contact Sage Wellness to book an appointment to assess your level of toxicity and to obtain a specific and individualized protocol.
I often recommend dry brushing and contrast showers to my patients. It’s fantastic for daily detoxification, boosting metabolism and even strengthening immune health.
You will need a dry brush with natural bristles or a loofah. Before you get in the shower, brush your skin in a circular motion starting at your feet and moving up the legs, torso and arms. Every action is towards the heart. Once you’ve finished dry brushing which should take about 15 seconds you can do your contrast shower. You will do about 2-3 minutes of warm and then a blast of cold trying to do at least three blasts of cold ending with cold.
Patient Q: I have heard of the importance of detox especially in the spring. What are a few things that I could be doing daily to help detoxify my body?
Dr. Lewis A: The body knows how to detox itself but sometimes it can need a little boost. Adding the following 3 suggestions to your daily routine will help boost your body’s natural abilities to cleanse.
1. Lemon Water Lemon is alkalizing and helps to balance the pH of the body. The concentrated antioxidants in lemons flush out toxins and free radicals, and the vitamin C supports cell regeneration and boosts the immune system.
Start your day with lemon water. Squeeze 1/4 lemon into 250 ml warm water. Drink 15 minutes before breakfast to jump start your metabolism and support liver detoxification.
Variations: You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper or half a tsp of apple cider vinegar to your lemon water.
2. Increase green leafy veggies We all know that green leafy vegetables are healthy. They are a rich source of fiber, sulfur, carotenoids, vitamin B5, and iron. They are also full of chlorophyll, which helps to detoxify and purify the blood, expel toxins and maintains a healthy immune system.
An easy way to get more greens into your diet is by making a green juice or green smoothie. Follow his link for green drink recipes and to discover the difference and benefits between juicing and blending.
3. Contrast showers Practice contrast showering. Simply switch your water temperature from hot to cold every 10-20 seconds, always ending with cold. This will stimulate metabolism and promote healthy circulation and lymphatic drainage.